Ron Tipton, UTK
Jill Gemmill, UAB
David Coleman, UTK
Aditya Srinivasan, UAB
Samir Chatterjee, CGU
Nadim El, Khoury, UNC
John Pankow, U. Florida
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Ken Klingenstein, Internet2
Michael Gettes, Georgetown
Ann West, Internet2/Educause
Egon Verharen, SURFnet (chair)
Jeanette Fielden, Internet2
Cisco Gatekeeper and LDAP backend authentication testing: Egon also has access to a router and he expects it to be running by the next meeting. Nadim is meeting with Tyler tomorrow and will check with him about the router he has access to.
Tyler and Nadim are concentrating on the H.350 changes that they will submit to the ITU raconteur's meeting at the end of January. Nadim is still working on the Security profile for H.235 but it is not ready yet due to the H.350 work.
Microsoft SIP developer's conference report: Aditya attended the conference, which was aimed mainly at the corporate market and the information workers who need to use collaboration tools like VoIP, video, instant messaging and application sharing when collaborating with others in the corporation. Microsoft is putting a lot of effort into developing tools and support. Once the infrastructure is in place, applications can leverage off of it. For example: The infrastructure is being integrated with office XP so when the mouse cursor moves over the name of a person, Microsoft Office can use presence information from a server to tell you if the person is online. Another feature is an information agent that will connect with calendar of a requested person and detect their current availability state; i.e. if they are in a conference, and return information such as: the person shouldn't be contacted by cell phone, but text messaging is fine. All application developers are being encouraged to use SIP. Microsoft stated it is committed to being compliant with SIP and that since everything is SIP compliant any MS piece can be replaced by 3rd party software. Was there discussion of any proprietary extensions to SIP? They have extended the protocol where they needed features that didn't exist but said that if/when the standard is completed they will follow it.
The RTC server needs Active Directory to install, no other LDAP will work. The code for Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger is linked but being developed independently and already has some different features. Windows Messenger can interact with other Windows Messenger based clients that are on the same corporate or remote environment, and it can also interact with those in the MSN cloud. In general you log into the XP box (not the domain), you call your client on XP, the user is assigned a particular home server, and if the call is going outside the domain, an edge server/proxy with a firewall will handle the call. For inter-realm calls they gave a list of scenarios that were acceptable going from the less secure to the more secure. The most secure scenario is where the two domains have a trust relationship to each other. The H proxies on the two domains communicate by both sides using a TLS connection to connect to each other, and all calls go through this connection. There was no discussion of how you discover the other person for inter-realm communication. Radvision also demonstrated a SIP MCU, which can also accept H.323 calls in addition to SIP.
A cd-rom of the conference proceedings will be mailed to conference attendees. Access has also been granted to a pre-release version of the RTC server. The license does not allow it to be shared but Aditya and his fellow team members will test it out and share what they learn.
Internet2 Spring member meeting April 9 – 11 2003
There will more of an emphasis on tools and less on demos for this meeting.
Ken will verify with Renee that there is space reserved for the working group to do a report and discussion session in addition to a closed working group session.
For the report meeting the desire is to present Samir's SIP video client as a milestone on the road to our destination. The client is SIP compliant, and should be able to communicate with applications such as Microsoft Messenger. It would be ideal if there were a way to distribute the client for people to take home and play with it. It's also desirable is to set up an environment where people could test the client as a pilot. The directory tools that Nadim is working on can be another piece as well as a role for the resource discovery part. Even if everything is not assembled into the final product they show the milestones and progress achieved. The goal is to have something where an authenticated H.323 call setup can be used and be able to do it with a SIP call too. That would give at least two methods. It can be done with Cisco equipment and LDAP on Radius authentication to give people a feel for "this is how you set up an authenticated call."
It was also decided that it would be highly desirable to have corporate involvement, perhaps in a panel for the presentation session where they could talk about the approach being used for their product.
The proposal for the BoF meeting is a closed session where video and middleware people can be brought together for discussion. The H.350 commObject will be split into several standards, commObject 250 identity and more. There are some technical issues on how that works in directory services. It would be great to discuss these issues with the directory experts. Egon proposed that it go on the agenda for the BoF and be circulated to the list.
Videoconferencing draft: Samir requested more feedback on the document since the purpose of the document is to capture several ideas the group has discussed from the SIP perspective. Feedback is critical since the next phase of development is where either a SAML based solution or something else will be implemented depending on the feedback. Jill has not yet had to opportunity to review the draft in detail and plans to do so before the next call. Samir indicated he will be at the IP Telephony expo in Miami.
While Tyler could not be on the call, he has expressed an interest in integrating numeric dial plans across SIP and 323. It was agreed that should be part of the work in resource discovery and perhaps Tyler could write a description of what's he's thinking with respect to the issue.
The next call will be February 10, 2003.
[AI] Aditya will send a list of who presented from Microsoft at the SIP developers conference to the mailing list.
[AI] Egon and Steve will draft an agenda for the presentation session for the Spring Member Meeting.