*VidMid-VC Conference Call*
March 25, 2002
John McNair - U. Tennessee - Knoxville
Karen Krivaa - Radvision
Nadim El-Khoury - UNC-CH
Tom Barton - U. Memphis
Art Vandenberg - Georgia State University
Samir Chatterjee - Claremont Graduate University
Tyler Johnson - UNC-CH
Egon Verharen - SURFnet
Jill Gemmill - U. Alabama - Birmingham
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Natalie Chin - Internet2 (scribe)
The minutes from the last call were approved and will be posted to the website.
SteveO sent the NMI documentation template to those who are actively involved in the white papers under development and requested any comments and/or feedback. There was consensus that the white papers will be primarily informational, including recommendations where possible at this early stage. They will be very useful in defining the problem space and serving as the foundation for further developments and discussion in the areas covered.
Tyler and Nadim had a meeting with Tom and Michael, in which they went attribute-by-attribute through the commObject spec. The h323Zone attributes are not as fully developed as they need to be. They are in the process of determining how best to address the h323Zone attributes now. However, the h323Identity is more fully fleshed out at this point. Nadim's search tool is mostly complete, but there are bugs that should be worked out soon, after which more testing will need to be done. SteveO clarified that the April release is now frozen and nothing can be added at this point. The intention is to release the search tool as part of a later NMI release.
The Resource Discovery white paper is coming along well, and is planned to include the approaches used in the Grids Center tools. It will determine where to start and which things to examine, and can be amended later as needed. Tyler agrees this is more realistic, a white paper that lays out a plan for the next set of activities to be explored. There is a great deal of very complex information that is buried in references. With close examination it will frame the discussion, then by the next release recommendations should emerge. Art inquires about adding diagrams and prioritized scenarios. He will send an email that requests additional resource discovery information; replies should include references. Tyler suggests communication with Authn/Authz to discuss the new draft. SteveO reminds everyone that April 15 is the target for completing the white papers, to allow sufficient time for vetting before the NMI R.1 release April 30.
The Authn/Authz calls have been taking place every Friday, however it was suggested they be changed to Tuesdays. A call tomorrow would be greatly beneficial since there is much to discuss. The tally of emails by SteveO showed that Tuesdays at 12:00pm EST works for most and he will send out an email confirmation of the change with phone bridge information.
Nadim ran across a reference stating that Corel has a video enterprise directory. They do graphics software and they may have LDAP integration. This will be researched further, to evaluate what they are doing in this space.
There are expressions of interest by First Virtual (FVC) in our activities; Egon is continuing the dialogue with them.
OneTouch was also mentioned as a player in the videoconferencing arena that should be looked at more closely.
*New Action Items*
1. [AI] 25-Mar-02 (All) should send useful references to Art for the
Resource Discovery white paper ASAP, after reviewing latest draft sent to
2. [AI] 25-Mar-02 Tyler and Nadim are drafting a new revision of the commObject spec folded into a larger Interrealm Directories white paper, and will distribute for review when ready.
3. [AI] 25-Mar-02 SteveO continuing to clean up old action items, plan to include in minutes from this call.