**MACE Call 8-November-2010**
RL "Bob" Morgan, U. Washington (chair)
Ken Klingenstein, Internet2
Paul Hill, independent
Michael Gettes, independent
Jim Jokl, U. Virginia
Keith Hazelton, U. Wisc. - Madison
Steven Carmody, Brown U.
Scott Cantor, The Ohio State U.
Renee Frost, Internet2
Tom Barton, U. Chicago
Jens Haeusser, U. British Columbia
David Wasley, independent
Steve Olshansky, Internet2 (scribe)
NEXT CALL: 22-November-2010
*New Action Items**
[AI] (Ken) will convene a small subgroup of MACE to consider the seed cord issues in more depth and report back on a forthcoming call, soon.
*Carryover Action Items*
[AI] (Ken) will invite Mike Conlin (U. Florida), the VIVO PI, to a forthcoming MACE call.
[AI] (Keith) will maintain an issues list to inform a potential new charter for MACE-DirNG, syncing it with the FedApps charter.
[AI] (RLBob, Scott, and SteveO) will proceed with the process of formalizing the FedApps working group, including setting up a list/wiki/website, and advertise it in the appropriate venues.
[AI] (Ken) will draft a one-pager about what MACE does and what questions it has, for review by MACE, as a discussion guide with Internet2 leadership.
[AI] (Ken) will distribute a draft requirements framework for VO support engagement
[AI] (David) will contact GSA for an update on the approval process for InCommon Silver.
[AI] (ReneeS) will revisit the list of potential new MACE members on the list.
[AI] (Ken) will revise the mission statement based upon feedback received on the call.
[AI] (Ken) will send out info on DHS secure online transactions
[AI] (Ken) will follow up on a MACE/AMSAC call.
[AI] (Ken) will follow up with Kuali/Rice about I2MI collaboration.
[AI] (Ken) will draft a catalyst doc, covering the key items to be addressed in advising VOs how to use our infrastructure.
[AI] (Leif) will contact Ken/Steven/Tom about potential overlaps between the SDCI proposal and projects in the EU.
[AI] (Leif) will discuss the IDTrust meeting on the PKNG list, seeking feedback.
[AI] (Jens) will speak to an Eduroam rep about communicating with Educause.
[AI] (Ken) will draft and circulate a letter to Rice leadership, requesting input to roadmaps and use cases, and to ensure our projects with Kuali projects are aligned with their high-level strategic direction.
[AI] (Nate) will distribute information to the list about upcoming tactical issues facing MACE
[AI] (All) send Bamboo IAM comments to Tom ASAP for coordination.
[AI] (All) interested in participating in the international collaboration activity contact RL "Bob."
[AI] (RL "Bob") will contact a representative of Kuali Rice about coordinating a call.
[AI] (Ken and Mark) will distribute some information on trust anchors in the context of dynamic network configuration in GENI testbed, as well as for general access control.
[AI] (Ken) will circulate some meeting notes from the last TERENA/ REFEDS meetings.
- Report on the steering committee meeting with Dave Lambert last week, and implications for I2MI/InCommon
This was a productive meeting, with a productive exchange of ideas, and support expressed by Dave for Middleware and InCommon as important components of the organization.
Topics included potential new service offerings, with attendant business models. Discussion also included potential branding differentiation between UCAID, InCommon, and Internet2. More information forthcoming as it becomes available...
The Federated Identity and CI workshop was very successful and well received, with strong support expressed for federated IdM as an increasingly beneficial, and even fundamental, component of major science VOs.
- Tending the seed corn
There was a good and wide-ranging discussion about potential new MACE members.
There were good interactions with folks at the MM, and indications of interest in joining MACE. How do we bring these folks along? Expanded theme calls? Arm-twisting re certain activities, eg ACAMP followup items?. New MACE members? Ideas and action plans welcome.
Discussion included specific people who have expressed interest...
MACE being scoped to *IdM and the integration of IdM approaches across open source*, rather than general middleware, was reaffirmed by those on the call. Questions were raised about whether (1) policy and rules engines, workflow, provisioning, and (2) integration between middleware and applications, or between components in the middleware infrastructure, is in scope going forward. The increasing complexity of the environment emerged as a significant factor to be considered.
Are there areas that should be declared specifically out of scope?
What does the community want us to be doing? Are the right people available to shepherd these various activities?
What is it that should be done, that no other groups are tackling?
The diagram created some time ago was referenced:
Is this still valid as a scoping for I2MI?
The suggestion was made to hold a more open (but not completely public) call once per month to include non-MACE members, scoped to particular relevant topics.
The notion of seed corn for MACE, v. seed corn for various activities, arose. Consensus was that this is really about seeding people to shepherd useful activities within the community, however that develops.
Providing a platform for the publication of relevant documents, e.g. integration or domestication experiences and how-tos, was suggested as a valuable contribution that would have the side benefit of increasing interaction with the community and potentially identifying seed corn.
[AI] (Ken) will convene a small subgroup of MACE to consider the seed cord issues in more depth.