*MACE Conference Call*
March 5, 2007
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Ton Verschuren - SURFnet
Paul Hill - MIT
Diego Lopez - RedIRIS
Leif Johansson - Stockholm/SUNET
Steve Carmody - Brown
Michael Gettes - Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Neal McBurnett - Internet2
David Wasley - independent
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Ann West - Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
Scott gave a short report from the TTI Vanguard meeting in Dallas (http://www.ttivanguard.com/conference/2007/dallas.html). He noted that the things MACE is working on seem to be more urgent concerns for government agencies than for businesses, which are mostly just monitoring these developments for possible deployment in "the next generation". Scott also noted that Burton is working on articulating a big-picture view of identity management and on understanding why federation deployment is proceeding so slowly.
- IETF is March 18-23 in Prague; see http://www.ietf.org/meetings/68-IETF.html. [AI] Bob will send Diego information on IETF discussions of adding AuthZ elements to TLS.
- EMC2 meets March 28-29 in Florence; see http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-emc2/meetings/8/index.html. The agenda is close to final, but Diego is still looking for someone to talk about identity management and software integration from a library perspective. Bernd Oberknapp of University Library Freiburg was mentioned in this connection. [AI] All will send Diego suggestions for presenters on IdM and libraries.
- An agenda for the Spring Internet2 Member Meeting is at http://events.internet2.edu/2007/spring-mm/agenda.cfm. Renee stressed that this is subject to change.
- ITANA (https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/itana/Home) meets May 22 at Columbia University, right before CSG (http://www.stonesoup.org/Meeting.next).
The group discussed topics for the June CAMPs. Steve Carmody noted that he and Ann have been asking past CAMPers what problems they ran into when they went back to their campuses and tried to apply what they had learned. Most problems seem to be on the policies-and-practices side; people are having problems figuring out how to sell Shibboleth to stakeholders on campus. Ann noted that one big issue is people feeling like Shibboleth being an open-source product means that they won't have any leverage to get help when they need it. It was agreed that Shibboleth in general (not just 2.0) will be the topic for CAMP, with the program committee to work out the particular emphases within this large topic.
For the Advanced CAMP, the topic will be support for collaborative applications. There was general agreement that this discussion should be broader than just VOs; Steve Carmody summarized it as "getting all the apps to work together in a way that can be managed effectively". [AI] Tom will write a paragraph describing the topic for Advanced CAMP; Bob will help. [AI] Ann will recruit program committees for CAMP and Advanced CAMP; Bob will help; all will send them suggestions.
Diego called the group's attention to REFEDS (Research and Education FEDerationS; http://www.terena.org/activities/refeds/), which aims "to look at technical specifications as well as policies to define procedures and guidelines to allow for interoperability of federations." REFEDS is keenly interested in gathering information via the wiki at http://www.rediris.es/wiki/tf-emc2/. [AI] Steve Carmody will post information about InCommon on the REFEDS wiki.
[AI] Bob will send Diego information on IETF discussions of adding AuthZ elements to TLS.
[AI] All will send Diego suggestions for presenters on IdM and libraries.
[AI] Tom will write a paragraph describing the topic for Advanced CAMP; Bob will help.
[AI] Ann will recruit program committees for CAMP and Advanced CAMP; Bob will help; all will send them suggestions.
[AI] Steve Carmody will post information about InCommon on the REFEDS wiki.