*MACE Conference Call*
October 3, 2005
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Diego Lopez - RedIRIS
Steven Carmody - Brown
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
Jim Jokl - Virginia
David Wasley - independent
Lynn McRae - Stanford
Mark Poepping - CMU
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
- Bob and Scott are planning to go to the Oct. 26-27 Internet Identity Workshop (http://www.socialtext.net/iiw2005/index.cgi).
- The Nov. 7-9 EuroCAMP (http://www.terena.nl/tech/eurocamp/nov05/) will be similar to the previous one, but with more of a hands-on Shibboleth component.
- The theme for the next US CAMP will be Authentication and Federations; agenda suggestions should go to Ann West (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Initial steps are being taken toward holding a CAMP in Japan.
- 1.5-day meetings of TF-EMC2 and TF-Mobility are set for late Jan. - early Feb. in Zagreb. Contact Ken if you are interested in attending these or other European meetings.
The League of Federations group is moving forward with a focus on three issues:
- legal structures (there is interest in doing a survey soon)
- levels of assurance, in particular finding out if there are similar approaches among different enterprises
- schema harmonization
Bob noted that eAuth (http://www.cio.gov/eauthentication/) has released its "final interim business and operating rules", which may be a factor in these discussions. Steven Carmody noted that Belgium is about to bring a federation into production.
There appears to be growing interest in federations and Shibboleth in the medical research world; Ken noted that GGF15 (http://www.ggf.org/ggf_events_ggf15.htm) includes a one-day workshop on privacy and security in the life sciences.
Ken also noted that, in the wake of Katrina and Rita, there is interest in forming a working group for campuses to think through disaster recovery in a more holistic way than previously.