*MACE Conference Call*
October 29, 2007
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Tom Barton - Chicago
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
David Wasley - independent
Steve Carmody - Brown
Paul Hill - MIT
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
Bob reviewed developments at EDUCAUSE 2007 (http://www.educause.edu/e07/program/11071):
- Greg Jackson gave a provocative talk called "Things Iíve Screwed Up -- and How!"; video is at http://www.educause.edu/E07/program/11073?PRODUCT_CODE=E07/FS06.
- There was discussion of possible interefederation work with Texas; Bob is following up with InCommon.
- Tom did a successful GridShib demo.
- Bob and Ann continued their evangelism among the registrars; a meeting to set middleware priorities is tentatively planned for the next AACRAO Tech meeting in July.
Ken recommends Brian Hawkins' talk on "Learning to Drive (and Other Lessons Learned Along the Way)"; video is at http://www.educause.edu/E07/program/11073?PRODUCT_CODE=E07/FS08.
Bob had a conference call with Patrick Harding and some of the people working with him on dynamic SAML metadata. Some commonalities were identified between this work and MACE's; a mailing list is in the works.
- EuroCAMP is November 14-15 in Dubrovnik; see http://www.terena.org/activities/eurocamp/november07/programme1.html.
- IETF is December 2-7 in Vancouver; see http://www.ietf.org/meetings/70-IETF.html.
- The EGEE/OSG Middleware Security Group meets December 6-7 in Berkeley; see http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=20203.
- The CNI Task Force meets December 10-11 in Washington, DC; see http://www.cni.org/tfms/2007b.fall/. There will be two Shibboleth sessions.
Jon-Paul Robinson has agreed to convene mace-collab to talk about the infrastructure needs of collaborative apps. Ken is working on a mailing list with Jon-Paul; [ACTION] All who want to be on the initial mace-collab mailing list, will contact Ken.
Bob has been talking to one of the principals of the sprawling Kuali effort (http://www.kuali.org/) about integrating MACE's work into Kuali. A mailing list and conference calls are planned; [ACTION] All who want to help figure out where MACE middleware fits into Kuali, will contact Bob. Bob noted that Kuali Student (http://www.kuali.org/communities/ks/) appears to be the most architecturally innovative area of Kuali, and is getting the most attention. Ken noted that some of the pieces of Kuali, particularly Kuali Student and Kuali Financial Systems, appear not to share much infrastructure so far.
MIT's Coeus (http://coeus.mit.edu/) has been deployed on almost 50 campuses and is now being further developed as Kuali Research Administration. Bob suggested that PIs will nonetheless be using agency grants-management sites for years to come; federation might prove useful here, especially for smaller campuses that don't want to run complex grants-management software.
[AI] All who want to be on the initial mace-collab mailing list, will contact Ken.
[AI] All who want to help figure out where MACE middleware fits into Kuali, will contact Bob.
(from previous calls)
[AI] Michael will write MACE a description of his work on the Collaborative Organizations pilot service.
[AI] Bob and Ken will contact Jane Charlton and Josh about the operational and policy aspects of applying Shibboleth to Confluence in the UK.
[AI] Ken will ping his National Archives contact for a workshop agenda, and circulate it to the list.
[AI] Bob will draft recommendations for app developers re AuthN/AuthZ (attributes), and post them to a wiki; Leif will provide references for J2EE text.
[AI] Ken will set up an outreach, education, and support conference call, and notify MACE.
[AI] Bob will talk to Vinay Kumar about possible roles for 9Star in supporting MACE-ware.
[AI] Keith will draft a summary of the OpenID discussion on the May 14 MACE call, for further discussion on the MACE list.