*MACE Conference Call*
November 29, 2004
Keith Hazelton (acting chair) - Wisconsin
Lynn McRae - Stanford
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Neal McBurnett - Internet2
Tom Barton - Chicago
Scott Cantor - OSU
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Michael Gettes - Duke
Steve Carmody - Brown
David Wasley - UCOP
Paul Hill - MIT
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
The I2IM working group (http://middleware.internet2.edu/i2im/) has been discussing writing up its work so far and putting the group into hibernation. MACE agreed that this is the appropriate course of action. Ken noted that a group called VSAC has convened to talk about what Internet2 should be doing with voice services; a report to NPPAC is planned for January. [AI] Ken will circulate the VSAC report to MACE.
- The Australian CAMP will take place December 7-11.
- The European CAMP will be March 2-4 in Turin.
- The first CAMP Med will be in Tempe in February.
- Next summer's CAMPs will be June 27 through July 1 at the Westin in Denver; topics are still TBD.
Michael was just at Dartmouth to discuss their role in getting USHER and HEBCA deployed; [AI] Michael will get the Dartmouth discussions written up and send them to Ken. The current plan has USHER operational by February, with HEBCA implemented as a higher LOA on USHER by July.
The Slaughter group's plan to hire someone to organize a League of Federations (see http://middleware.internet2.edu/MACE/minutes/MACE-18-October-2004.html) is moving forward. Scott noted his concern about inserting an intermediary where point-to-point agreements had been planned; there is a need to get service providers to understand what parts of the problem they need to own. Ken agreed that one of the things the League of Federations needs to do is foster common formats for point-to-point agreements.
The group discussed the Federal E-Authentication Credential Assessment Suite (http://www.cio.gov/eauthentication/CredSuite.htm). David noted a growing awareness on the campuses that assessment is becoming a key part of business processes. FastLane and the Department of Agriculture's permit process are the first two applications being targeted for E-Auth credential assessment. Ken noted that FastLane isn't just for applying for grants -- proposal review is one of its other functions, and Ken thinks using local credentials for this could be a win. The Feds are interested in getting feedback on credential assessment; [AI] All will send their thoughts on the Federal E-Authentication Credential Assessment Suite to Ken and David.
Ken suggested that in future MACE might want to participate in meetings organized by the Electronic Authentication Partnership (http://eapartnership.org/). This group is getting some traction from its work with its Federal partners.
- Scott noted that the Shibboleth team is planning to propose a move to the Apache 2.0 license for the next version.
- [AI] Paul will look into MIT work with other schools on event calendaring.
- Keith noted that Scott Fullerton will likely be contacting MACErs about his upcoming work with Exchange.
[AI] Ken will circulate the VSAC report to MACE.
[AI] Michael will get the Dartmouth discussions written up and send them to Ken.
[AI] All will send their thoughts on the Federal E-Authentication Credential Assessment Suite to Ken and David.
[AI] Paul will look into MIT work with other schools on event calendaring.