*MACE Conference Call*
March 25, 2002
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Ellen Vaughan - Internet2
Neal McBurnett - Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
Ton Verschuren - SURFnet
Steven Carmody - Brown
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Mark Poepping - CMU
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
David Wasley - UCOP
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
The meeting opened with Renee giving a short update on the schedule for the Internet2 Member Meeting. As this meeting overlaps with CSG, Renee has tried to schedule middleware sessions such that CSGers can leave on Tuesday afternoon. Watch http://www.internet2.edu/activities/php/agenda.php?session_event_id=103 for the latest schedule; send email to Renee if you have scheduling issues.
NMI Release 1.0 is still planned for April 30; an NSF press release is in the works. NMI participants are giving a lot of thought to NMI's emerging standardization and packaging process. Ken noted that KX.509 will be packaged with Globus as well as being available separately. Ken has gotten a lot of interest in his ideas for a "plumbing campuses for grids" document; fleshing this out will require involvement of both Globus and non-Globus MACEochists. [AI] Ken will recruit MACE members to lead work on a "plumbing campuses for grids" document. [AI] Ken will send the list URLs for two interesting new IETF SIP drafts currently being studied by the VidMid AuthN/Z group.
Bob reported lots of interesting discussion about proxy certs at the just-concluded 53rd IETF; lots of people are interested in the Globus proxy-cert concepts. There's also interest in using SAML for extended authorization, and there was much discussion of potential patent encumberances to this. Bob noted that IMC and The Open Group are working on S/MIME, and suggested trying to hook up with their efforts.
Ken noted that Microsoft announced several months ago that they are considering a federated version of .NET, and asked if anyone had heard anything new on this. Steven distinguished two parts of .NET: Passport and MyServices (formerly known as HailStorm); there seems to be more talk of federating the former than the latter. Ken and Bob are hoping to find out more about this during their visit to Microsoft tomorrow. Scott suggested that the key issue in interoperating with .NET is likely to be Microsoft's use of Kerberos, and that creating interoperability without creating parallel infrastructure is likely to require open-source versions of Active Directory. Scott believes that .NET will either be open or fail, and that Microsoft has realized that pushing people toward Active Directory (the most proprietary part of .NET) is causing them to look to the Liberty Alliance as an alternative. Scott pointed out that Microsoft is already starting to publish long-proprietary formats. Scott and Steven agreed that it's hard to believe that Microsoft thinks that inter-realm Kerberos can scale globally; Scott thinks that Microsoft is most likely still counting on running a central KDC.
Finally, Steven noted two projected Shibboleth demos: at the April 29 NYU libraries meeting, and, sometime not too far in the future, a demo with a web page front-ending streaming video. [AI] All will put Steven in touch with anyone they know who has streaming video they want to control access to.
[AI] Ken will recruit MACE members to lead work on a "plumbing campuses for grids" document.
[AI] Ken will send the list URLs for two interesting new IETF SIP drafts currently being studied by the VidMid AuthN/Z group.
[AI] All will put Steven in touch with anyone they know who has streaming video they want to control access to.