*MACE Conference Call*
April 2, 2007
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Michael Gettes - Internet2
David Wasley - independent
Tom Barton - Chicago
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Lynn McRae - Stanford
Keith Hazelton - Wisconsin
Steve Carmody - Brown
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Scott Cantor - OSU
Leif Johansson - Stockholm/SUNET
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
The group discussed developments at the Prague IETF:
- Russ Housley is now IETF chair, which makes him also IESG chair and General Area director.
- William T. "Tim" Polk is now Security Area co-director. Tim will be at the Internet2 Member Meeting to talk about levels of assurance.
- Chris Newman is now Applications Area co-director. Bob noted that interest in this area appears to be on the upswing.
- Leif noted that the IETF Network Endpoint Assessment WG is working to address issues between NEA and eduroam; see http://www.terena.org/mail-archives/mobility/.
- Bob noted that DKIM appears to be pretty much finished; deployments are being encouraged. There is a need for DKIM advocacy in the higher-education email community; contact Bob if you are interested in taking this up.
Materials from IETF are accumulating at https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=68.
Bob was at TF-EMC2; some noteworthy developments were:
- eduGAIN can now do some interop; there is interest in doing bidirectional interop with Shibboleth. The JRA5 wiki is currently the most significant eduGAIN-enabled resource. Bob suggested that eduGAIN-enabling the Internet2 Spaces wiki, and getting people at UW using the JRA5 wiki, could be useful next steps.
- The Server Certificate Service (http://www.terena.org/activities/scs/) appears to be quite successful. This could have implications for how we do PKI in the US.
- SPIT appears to be a growing problem; old SIP-vs-H.323 discussions may find new relevance here.
- Thomas Lenggenhager has done interesting work mashing up the Shibboleth IdP with VOMS, enabling a user to have their Shib-IdP-based attributes pushed over into a VOMS attribute service for use in a VOMS-reliant application.
Presentations from TF-EMC are at http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-emc2/meetings/8/.
Ken attended the Mellon RIT/SC Retreat; he noted that the CSU Digital Marketplace is emerging as a place where a lot of integration efforts are likely to be happening. [AI] Ken will send MACE a note on developments at the Mellon RIT/SC Retreat.
Startup of mace-collab-core is moving forward. [AI] Rodney will recommend an Australian mace-collab-core participant. [AI] Ken will work on a charter for mace-collab-core.
Ken noted that there has been much recent discussion of how OpenID fits in with federation. Paul noted MIT's work in this area; see http://auth.mit.edu/. Ken suggested that MACE put together presentation materials on various ways that OpenID can work with federation. Scott warned that there seems to be a new generation of applications emerging that simply plug in OpenIDs where passwords used to be; he described this as "BrokenWeb 2.0".
[AI] Ken will send MACE a note on developments at the Mellon RIT/SC Retreat.
[AI] Rodney will recommend an Australian mace-collab-core participant.
[AI] Ken will work on a charter for mace-collab-core.