*MACE conference call*
June 19, 2000
Bob Morgan (chair)
Ben Chinowsky (scribe)
Bob Morgan opened the discussion by noting that the Grid Forum people are interested in hearing what MACE and related groups are working on; they are particularly interested in eduPerson and other directories-related work. [AI] Bob will be attending the July 10-12 Grid Forum meeting in Redmond. It was noted that there is little chance of eduPerson reaching v0.9 by then, but that this and other LDAP-related events this summer make it more important to reach that milestone soon.
There was a short discussion of the relationship between eduPerson and the LDAP recipe that Michael has been working on. [AI] Michael is trying to get the LDAP recipe sent out before the eduPerson call this coming Wednesday. The group discussed the possibility of branding the LDAP recipe as a MACE product; Michael is amenable to this. [AI] Michael will solicit discussion of the LDAP recipe on the MACE-Dir list. There is a possibility that the LDAP recipe will be added to the existing best practices document.
HEPKI-TAG and HEPKI-PAG are now holding regular conference calls. The TAG calls are every other Wednesday at 3:30PM Eastern; the next is on June 21. PAG also meets biweekly; however, there is not yet a fixed day and time for these meetings, and they are on hold until after Ken gets back from Europe this coming Sunday. Minutes from the TAG and PAG calls are posted to www.educause.edu/hepki. [AI] Renee will send the phone number and PIN for the TAG calls to the MACE list.
Eight completed Shibboleth surveys have been received; others are expected from U. of Washington, Georgia Tech, and Virginia. IBM is eager to move forward and was glad to hear that a survey deadline has been set; Ken will be talking to them soon. Steven noted that there is rising concern about the problems of providing identifiers and associated services to transient campus-community members (for example, applicants, parents, and visiting faculty), and suggested that if a separate security domain is provided for such individuals, it might make a good testbed for Shibboleth. No agreement was reached on this suggestion. [AI] Steven, Bob, and Ken will plan a conference call on Shibboleth.
Bob noted that there are many authorization efforts starting up, including some that should be looking at better models than the ones they are using now. To provide such models, [AI] Bob is putting together a web page of authorization-related links; he will maintain this himself for now, but may move it to the I2-MI pages once it contains a substantial amount of information. Authorization projects are underway at Brown and the U. of Washington. Steven suggested that MACE produce a 2-3 page paper generalizing from what is learned in the course of compiling this authorization info. He also noted that many authorization projects use a central policy server, because the credentials needed to make the decisions involved are often too sensitive to hand out.
Renee noted that she and other Internet2 representatives had participated in a conference call with representatives of EDUCAUSE, CREN, and several institutions of higher education. They discussed preparations for the June 21 Ed/Fed PKI coordination meeting in DC. They have produced a response to a letter received from the Feds about working together on PKI, but have decided not to send it until after the coordination meeting, so as to be able to update it in the light of the most recent activities and decisions. [AI] Michael and Keith are scheduled to present at the Ed/Fed meeting.
The next MACE call is scheduled for Monday, July 3; as this date is sandwiched between a weekend and a holiday, there is some doubt as to whether this call is really going to happen. [AI] Bob will send the list a note to find out who will be available on July 3.
[AI] Bob will be attending the July 10-12 Grid Forum meeting in Redmond.
[AI] Michael is trying to get the LDAP recipe sent out before the eduPerson call this coming Wednesday.
[AI] Michael will solicit discussion of the LDAP recipe on the MACE-Dir list.
[AI] Renee will send the phone number and PIN for the TAG calls to the MACE list.
[AI] Steven, Bob, and Ken will plan a conference call on Shibboleth.
[AI] Bob is putting together a web page of authorization-related links; he will maintain this himself for now, but may move it to the I2-MI pages once it contains a substantial amount of information.
[AI] Michael and Keith are scheduled to present at the Ed/Fed meeting.
[AI] Bob will send the list a note to find out who will be available on July 3.