*MACE Conference Call*
May 14, 2007
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Steve Carmody - Brown
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Michael Gettes - Internet2
Ann West - Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Diego Lopez - RedIRIS
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Neal McBurnett - Internet2
Mark Poepping - Carnegie Mellon
Keith Hazelton - Wisconsin
Paul Hill - MIT
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
Nate gave a short report from EuroCAMP. There have been some complaints that there was too much focus on NREN issues, and not enough on local issues. Nate also noted a comment from the Serbian attendees that if there was a Shibboleth Lite, they'd have deployed it a long time ago. Presentations are at http://www.terena.org/activities/eurocamp/april07/programme1.html and a summary is at http://www.terena.org/news/fullstory.php?news_id=2091.
Bob attended a meeting of the CalConnect calendaring and scheduling consortium held May 7-11 in Seattle. A promising and broad forum is emerging; see http://www.calconnect.org/. Bob suggested that higher ed might want to take a look at CalDAV (http://ietf.osafoundation.org/caldav/) to tie together different calendaring apps.
- Bob called in while on his way to the Internet Identity Workshop (http://iiw.windley.com/wiki/Workshop_2007). A meeting of the ITU Identity Management Focus Group will take place there; there is interest in InCommon in this group, and Bob is looking for MACErs interested in participating in the Focus Group.
- Ken is attending an Identity Management Workshop May 15 in Moldova; see http://www.terena.org/events/details.php?event_id=1005.
- The TERENA Networking Conference is May 21-24 in Cambridge, UK; see http://tnc2007.terena.org/programme/.
- Diego noted that there will be a JRA5 meeting the week of June 4, also in Cambridge, to discuss production services for eduRoam.
- The programs for the June CAMPs are coming together; see http://www.educause.edu/camp072 and http://www.educause.edu/camp073. Bob suggested that next year we try to avoid conflicting with the Burton Group Catalyst Conference (see http://catalyst.burtongroup.com/NA07/).
- TF-EMC2 meets September 4-5 in Prague. Ken is working on plans for a colocated inter-federation meeting.
The group discussed OpenID in light of recent developments at Sun (see http://developers.sun.com/identity/). Keith suggested there's a danger that OpenID will be seen as a silver bullet; Scott noted the danger that OpenID will be used to solve problems that you really need attributes for. Bob pointed out that it's been suggested that organizations just deploy an identity provider for each implied attribute, e.g. "is a Sun employee". Keith observed that although this clearly won't scale, there is nonetheless a danger of losing several years while people learn that the hard way. Diego suggested that, despite its limitations, OpenID could at least get people looking at the possibility of using digital identity; they would then be open to better solutions. There was general agreement, and strong interest in putting forward a simplified version of Shibboleth as one of those better solutions. [AI] Keith will draft a summary of the OpenID discussion on today's MACE call, for further discussion on the MACE list. This will be structured as an outline of how those who have announced or are planning to offer OpenID services could, in addition, support a stripped-down SAML or Shibboleth Identity Provider for SPs expecting SAML support. The text will include the arguments for why this hybrid approach is preferable to an OpenID-only approach.
[AI] Bob will put outreach and education high on the agenda for the June 11 call; all will review the May 1-14 "Outreach and Education Discussion" thread on the MACE list ahead of that call.
[AI] Keith will draft a summary of the OpenID discussion on today's MACE call, for further discussion on the MACE list.
[AI] Bob will put outreach and education high on the agenda for the June 11 call; all will review the "Outreach and Education Discussion" thread on the MACE list ahead of that call.