*MACE Conference Call*
June 11, 2007
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Diego Lopez - RedIRIS
David Wasley - independent
Michael Gettes - Internet2
Leif Johannson - Stockholm / SUNET
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Scott Cantor - OSU
Steve Carmody - Brown
Ann West - Internet2
Keith Hazelton - Wisconsin
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Paul Hill - MIT
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
- Bob attended the Internet Identity Workshop (http://iiw.windley.com/wiki/Workshop_2007). OpenID was a major topic of discussion, in particular Sun's Non-Assertion Covenant for OpenID (see http://www.sun.com/software/standards/persistent/openid/faq.xml). Bob and Keith also noted an article by Andy Powell and David Recordon comparing OpenID to Shibboleth in scenarios for higher education: http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue51/powell-recordon/. Bob observed that the article seems to assume that OpenID gives you ownership of your addresses, which it doesn't.
- The first ITANA face-to-face meeting (http://www.itana.org/) drew 23 people, largely but not entirely the usual suspects. Bob described it as a useful comparing-notes session. The next meeting will be at EDUCAUSE in October.
- The TERENA conference included a full track on middleware and IdM; see http://tnc2007.terena.org/programme/.
- The JRA5 meeting featured a proposal for a new DAMe architecture, dropping DIAMETER and making eduGAIN more central. See http://dame.inf.um.es/htmldocs/design_alternatives_v2.html and http://dame.inf.um.es/htmldocs/dame_sso.html.
- Leif is attending the Sakai Conference in Amsterdam. Shibboleth integration is on the agenda; see https://sakaiproject.org/conference/admin/schedule.php.
- June 25-29 is CAMP week; see http://www.educause.edu/camp072 and http://www.educause.edu/camp073.
- Jim Fox will be at Catalyst discussing his work with Shibboleth; see http://catalyst.burtongroup.com/NA07/.
- Bob observed that the July AACRAO Technology Conference offers an opportunity to find out more about what scenarios are of interest to registrars and admissions officers, and offer solutions; see http://www.aacrao.org/tech07/.
- Keith and Nate will be evangelizing middleware at the August APAN meeting (http://www.apan.net/meetings/xian2007/). The CANS meeting (http://www.canscouncil.net/cans2007/) is immediately before APAN; [AI] Keith will see if he can make it to CANS.
- The Mellon/NSF workflow conference is now tentatively scheduled for October 3-5. [AI] Ken will send Bob, Keith, and Paul the draft Mellon/NSF workflow conference proposal.
The Shibboleth 2.0 alpha goes to the first set of testers later this week. Steve Carmody expects to be able to offer an estimated release timeline in about a month.
USHER is now up and running; see http://www.usherca.org/.
Bob noted that there's rising interest in federation and IdM architecture at colleges in the state of Washington, offering good opportunities for outreach.
[AI] Keith will see if he can make it to CANS.
[AI] Ken will send Bob, Keith, and Paul the draft Mellon/NSF workflow conference proposal.
(from previous calls)
[AI] Keith will draft a summary of the OpenID discussion on the May 14 MACE call, for further discussion on the MACE list.
[AI] Bob will put outreach and education high on the agenda for a future MACE call; all will review the "Outreach and Education Discussion" thread on the MACE list ahead of that call.