*MACE Conference Call*
May 1, 2006
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Ton Verschuren - SURFnet
Nate Klingenstein - Internet2
Paul Hill - MIT
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Steve Carmody - Brown
Mark Poepping - Carnegie Mellon
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Steve Olshansky - Internet2
Scott Cantor - OSU
David Wasley - independent
Lynn McRae - Stanford
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Keith Hazelton - Wisconsin
Tom Barton - Chicago
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Neal McBurnett - Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
The Real Time Communications Advisory Group (http://www.internet2.edu/rtc/) circulated draft recommendations at the Internet2 Member Meeting. Bob is working to clarify what these recommendations mean for the possibility of bringing the Voice and Integrated Communications Initiative into MACE. [AI] Bob will send MACE a copy of the draft RTC-AG recommendations.
Steve Carmody noted that the middleware sessions at the Member Meeting seemed to have many more non-US participants than at previous MMs. Ken noted that middleware is an area of interest for the United Nations System of Organizations, which is a new Internet2 member. See http://www.internet2.edu/presentations/spring06/20060424-uninternet2-laing.htm.
Bob met with E-Auth last week to discuss inter-federation work; they are anxious to get this underway by September 30. MACErs should expect a tap on the shoulder.
Bob noted that there will likely be a November CAMP on authorization, Signet, and Grouper. Registration for the June Shibboleth and Workflow CAMPs is at http://www.educause.edu/camp062 and http://www.educause.edu/camp063.
Ton noted that DANTE is finalizing the funding and contracts for DAMe (Deploying Authorization Mechanisms for federated services in the eduroam architecture). The project is expected to get underway this summer. See http://www.terena.nl/activities/tf-emc2/meetings/5/slides/DAME.ppt for more on DAMe.
Bob is working on documenting MACE processes -- e.g. how MACE working groups are created, how one becomes a MACE member -- and is looking for help, in particular with setting the scope of this document. [AI] All who can help with documenting MACE processes, will contact Bob.
Finally, Ken noted Chris Misra's suggestion that SALSA NetAuth and MACE-Dir launch a project to generalize work done at the University of Kansas into a schema for describing device state more generally -- an "eduDevice". The group agreed to start with a conference call bringing together interested people from NetAuth and MACE-Dir. [AI] Ken will send MACE a pointer to the Kansas schema and put Keith in touch with Chris.
[AI] Bob will send MACE a copy of the draft RTC-AG recommendations.
[AI] All who can help with documenting MACE processes, will contact Bob.
[AI] Ken will send MACE a pointer to the Kansas schema and put Keith in touch with Chris.