*MACE Conference Call*
July 2, 2001
Bob Morgan (chair) - Washington
Neal McBurnett - Avaya
Ellen Vaughan - Internet2
Michael Gettes - Georgetown
Steven Carmody - Brown
Jim Jokl - Virginia
Paul Hill - MIT
Keith Hazelton - Wisconsin
Von Welch - Argonne
Renee Frost - Michigan/Internet2
Ken Klingenstein - Colorado/Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
The call opened with a discussion of ideas for a MACE face-to-face meeting in Seattle on September 11, the day before the CSG meeting. Ken had two ideas for this. MACE could arrange a discussion with Microsoft about the possibility of their involvement in the Internet2/Grid MWIR integration proposal. [AI] Ken will try for two more days to contact Todd Needham about the possibility of Microsoft's involvement in the Internet2/Grid MWIR integration proposal; if no luck, he'll try Dave Ladd. MACE could also use the session to work with the Grid on aligning the Internet2 and Grid architectures. Ken has suggested to Randy Butler that the six top architects from each side get together for this purpose; Butler is interested and is trying to find out if Kesselman and Tuecke can attend. Ken asked that all MACEochists keep their schedules open for the week of September 10-14.
Next MACE discussed the need for formal participation agreements for schools participating in DoDHE and Shibboleth. Ken noted that DoDHE had recently been featured in the Internet2 Showcase. This resulted in several previously uninvolved universites expressing interest in participating. On the other hand, there was one university that had new reservations about participating, expressing an attitude Ken summarized as "yes, that information was public, but it wasn't *that* public". Such concerns are likely to come up more often as inter-realm experiments move forward; Ken asked MACE for ideas on the best way to get permission to share data wherever doing so is necessary for such experiments. While there were concerns that formal requests for permission would create worries among previously unworried administrators, possibly leading to long delays, MACE agreed that the alternative -- apologizing later rather than asking first -- is not viable. Jim noted that at Virginia participation in DoDHE had to be approved by a VP, and this approval was secured quickly. There was general agreement that, as Shibboleth involves relations of trust, the issues around its participant agreement will be considerably more complex than those around DoDHE's; there is no "unified field theory" of such documents. [AI] Ken will draft a half-page agreement for Michael to ask DoDHE participants to sign.
The call concluded with miscellaneous updates. IBM is now a month late getting started with Shibboleth coding; Steven noted that this calls into question whether much of Shibboleth will be ready in time for the October 1 demo. MACE-Dir is working on groups issues; they will be gathering groups practices -- best and otherwise -- over the summer. Bob's WebISO kickoff note has been widely circulated among people working on portals, and several have signed up. [AI] Bob will prompt Nathan Dors to get the WebISO conference calls started. Michael noted that WebCT is interested in participating, and Blackboard may be as well; Steven stressed the importance of getting these companies involved. Ken noted that IMS has just come out with new specs, including specs for globally unique IDs.
[AI] 2-July-2001 - Ken will try for two more days to contact Todd Needham about the possibility of Microsoft's involvement in the Internet2/Grid MWIR integration proposal; if no luck, he'll try Dave Ladd.
[AI] 2-July-2001 - Ken will draft a half-page agreement for Michael to ask DoDHE participants to sign.
[AI] 2-July-2001 - Bob will prompt Nathan Dors to get the WebISO conference calls started.
[AI] 18-June-01 - On the next call, MACE will continue its discussion of issues around expanding its membership, then vote on who to ask to join; if those selected are not interested, further votes will be taken as necessary.
[AI] 18-June-01 - Keith will forward Ryan Muldoon's material on OIDs to Ben, for incorporation into http://middleware.internet2.edu/a-brief-guide-to-OIDs.doc.
[AI] 18-June-01 - Ben will post a revised version of http://middleware.internet2.edu/a-brief-guide-to-OIDs.doc for discussion on the next MACE call.
[AI] 18-June-01 - Steven will talk to Mike LaHaye about the possibility of Internet2 deploying an LDAP-enabled list server.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Bob, Keith, and Ken will decide who to invite to form a MACE-Dir advisory board; Ken will draft the invitation and Keith will send it out.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Ken will ask Von Welch and Steve Tuecke if they want to participate in the PKI Labs research conference.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Jim will investigate the possibility of using a project at Virginia for the multi-campus workgroup case in the October 1 Shibboleth demo.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Keith will investigate the possibility of using a project at Wisconsin for the multi-campus workgroup case in the October 1 Shibboleth demo.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Ken will organize a conference call with Von and people working on Grid PKI.
[AI] 04-June-01 - Bob will send the list proposed changes to the middleware document standards.